National Office for Victims
What We Do
The National Office for Victims is a central resource that offers information to victims, and also provides input on policy and legislative initiatives, education about victims' issues for members of the criminal justice system, and networking and support to the Correctional Service of Canada and the Parole Board of Canada.
- Write and publish information packages and guides for victims, victim service providers and the general public.
- Promote awareness of the Correctional Service of Canada and the Parole Board of Canada's services for victims of federal offenders.
- Represent victims' perspectives in developing policy.
- Provide members of the criminal justice system, the general public and staff of Public Safety Canada, the Correctional Service of Canada and the Parole Board of Canada with information and input about victims' issues, and develop communication materials for victims of federal offenders.
- Work with the provinces and territories to exchange information about victims' services and promote the services that exist.
- Lead inter-departmental and inter-jurisdictional discussions and policy development sessions on issues related to victims.
- Operate a toll-free number line (1-866-525-0554), which victims may call to obtain information about victim services available in Canada from anywhere in Canada or the United States.
The Canadian Victims Bill of Rights
The Canadian Victims Bill of Rights creates four statutory rights for victims of crime: the right to information, the right to protection, the right to participation and the right to restitution. It also informs victims of how they can file a complaint if they feel that their rights have been infringed or denied by a federal department or agency. Learn how to file a complaint with Public Safety Canada about a right under the Canadian Victims Bill of Rights.
The remaining amendments to the Corrections and Conditional Release Act contained in the Canadian Victims Bill of Rights came into force on June 1, 2016.
National Office for Victims News Releases
National Office for Victims Publications and Reports
- 2016 Corrections and Conditional Release Statistical Overview
- Information Guide to Assist Victims - Federal corrections and conditional release (9th Edition)
- Victims of Crime - Staying Informed
- Canadian Victim Bill of Rights Act
- 2015 Corrections and Conditional Release Statistical Overview
- More National Office for Victims Publications and Reports
- Date modified: