First Nations and Inuit Policing Facilities Program
Public Safety Canada funds the First Nations and Inuit Policing Facilities Program (FNIPFP) to support better policing infrastructure for the people who live and work in Indigenous communities. These investments will support First Nation and Inuit communities to ensure their policing infrastructure meets building, policing facility, and health and safety standards.
The program is cost-shared 52%-48% with the provinces and territories and will provide funding to repair, renovate, or replace policing facilities owned by First Nation and Inuit communities.
All Canadians deserve properly-funded, culturally sensitive, and respectful police services. Through Budget 2021, the Government of Canada announced significant new investments to support culturally responsive policing in Indigenous communities. This new funding includes $108.6 million over five years, beginning in 2021-2022, to repair, renovate, and replace policing facilities in First Nation and Inuit communities.
Moving forward, Public Safety Canada will continue to engage with Indigenous organizations and communities, as well as provincial and territorial governments, to ensure that Indigenous communities across the country benefit from professional, dedicated, and culturally responsive policing.
Indigenous Policing News
First Nations and Inuit Policing Program to expand into Nunavut
November 8, 2022
Governments of Canada, Saskatchewan and Prince Albert Grand Council affirm commitment to public safety
October 17, 2022
Governments of Canada, Alberta and Siksika Nation announce transition to self-administered Siksika police service
September 23, 2022
- More Indigenous Policing News Releases
Indigenous Policing Publications and Reports
- Evaluation of Risk Assessment Tools for Indigenous Individuals with a History of Sexual Crimes: A Response to Ewert case (2018)
- Research Summary - Evaluation of Risk Assessment Tools for Indigenous Individuals with a History of Sexual Crimes: A Response to Ewert case (2018)
- Summary of the 2022 Federal Engagement on First Nations Police Services Legislation: What We Heard Report
- Evaluation of the First Nations and Inuit Policing Program
- Summary of the evaluation of the First Nations and Inuit Policing Program
- More Indigenous Policing Publications and Reports
- Date modified: