Learn about the tragic terrorist events that have claimed the innocent lives of Canadians, and see how we honour and remember them.
The bombing of Air India Flight 182 on June 23, 1985, represents the worst terrorist attack in Canadian history. The attack – planned and executed in Canada – claimed the lives of 329 innocent people – 280 of them Canadian.
On September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks claimed the lives of nearly 3,000 people at the World Trade Center in New York, at the Pentagon in Virginia and in a quiet field in Shanksville, Pennsylvania.
Counter-terrorism News Releases
Government of Canada announces up to $1.9 million in funding to combat online terrorist and violent extremist content
September 20, 2022
Government of Canada lists four new terrorist entities
June 25, 2021
Government of Canada lists 13 new groups as terrorist entities and completes review of seven others
February 3, 2021
Counter-terrorism - Publications and Reports
- 2018 Public Report on the Terrorism Threat to Canada
- National Strategy on Countering Radicalization to Violence
- Strengthening Canada’s Counter-Proliferation Framework
- Federal terrorism response plan: Domestic concept of operations
- 2017 Public Report on the Terrorist Threat to Canada
- Date modified: