Defence Intelligence Framework
Date: October 21, 2020
Branch / Agency: NCSB / PS
- During the last Parliament, this Government passed legislation to modernize federal intelligence activities and improve intelligence review frameworks.
- As part of this new framework, the Government established:
- The National Security and Intelligence Committee of Parliamentarians; and
- The National Security and Intelligence Review Agency.
- Public Safety continues to work with partners across government, including National Defence, to strengthen Canada’s intelligence framework.
- The National Security and Intelligence Committee of Parliamentarians’ (NSICOP) 2018 Annual Report found that the Department of National Defence and the Canadian Armed Forces’ (DND/CAF) internal administrative governance system for defence intelligence was lacking in a number of areas.
- Through the Annual Report, the Committee recommended that, among others:
- National Defence and the Canadian Armed Forces review and strengthen its administrative framework governing defence intelligence activities, particularly with respect to enhancing the Ministerial Directive on Defence Intelligence.
- Public Safety and DND/CAF officials are working together to share information regarding intelligence compliance frameworks, including those related to defence intelligence.
Prepared by: [Redacted], Manager, [Redacted] (Arial 8)
Approved by: Name, title and phone number (ADM or equivalent only)
- Date modified: