Closing the Borders
Branch/Agency: Transport Canada
- On March 18, 2020, the Government of Canada is prohibiting foreign nationals to board flights to Canada departing from any country other than the United States.
- On March 21, 2020, we further restricted travel by banning recreational and leisure travel between Canada-U.S.
- The measure does not apply in designated exceptional circumstances, including to air crews, travellers arriving in Canada in transit to a third country, Canadian permanent residents, diplomats, or immediate family members of Canadian citizens
- Canada is taking a balanced and evidence-based approach to combatting the spread of COVID-19. As we continue our aggressive efforts to contain the spread of COVID-19 and to protect Canadians from COVID-19, we must ensure our airlines continue to fly, and that supply chains remain open.
- Given the international prevalence of COVID-19 this was deemed the most appropriate and effective time to ban foreign nationals from outside the U.S.
- Date modified: