Overview of the Appearance
The Standing Committee on Public Safety and National Security (SECU) has invited you to appear on Supplementary Estimates B, 2019-2020, on Thursday, February 27, 2020.
The meeting will be two hours long, from 8:45 a.m. to 10:45 a.m. You will appear with portfolio officials for the first hour (8:45 a.m. to 9:45 a.m.) and officials will remain to continue answering questions for the second hour (9:45 a.m. to 10:45 a.m.).
During your appearance, you will be supported at the table by:
- Rob Stewart, Deputy Minister, Public Safety Canada;
- Brenda Lucki, Commissioner, RCMP;
- John Ossowski, President, CBSA;
- David Vigneault , Director, CSIS;
- Anne Kelly, Commissioner, CSC; and
- Jennifer Oades, President, Parole Board of Canada.
The Chair of the Committee will invite you to give your opening remarks, which should take approximately 10 minutes. Thereafter, Committee members will ask you questions.
Rounds of questioning will occur as follows:
- Six minutes for the first questioner of each party as follows: Round 1: Conservative Party, Liberal Party, Bloc Québécois, New Democratic Party;
- For the second and subsequent rounds, the order and time for questioning will be as follows: Conservative Party, five minutes, Liberal Party, five minutes, Conservative Party, five minutes, Liberal Party, five minutes, Bloc Québécois, two and a half minutes, New Democratic Party, two and a half minutes.
Usually, 1/3 of the Committee’s questions pertain to issues directly related to the Estimates. We expect that the other questions, especially those from the Opposition, will touch on a variety of issues related to your respective mandates. In collaboration with your offices, we have developed briefing notes on issues that may be raised during the hearing.
Of the issues that could be raised, we would highlight the issues of:
- Wet’suwet’en Protest Against Coastal Gaslink (Tab 49)
- Federal Offender Eustachio Gallese (Tab 25)
- Government Measures to Reduce Gun Violence (Tab 43)
- 5G Telecommunications Systems (Tab 6)
- Disaster Assistance / Mitigation (Tabs 14 and 15)
- Date modified: