Search and Rescue Policies and Programs
Canada has one of the world's largest and most difficult areas for search and rescue (SAR), conducted over varied and often austere terrain, in extreme weather and in areas with low population density.
The SAR system draws on the resources and expertise of partners at all levels of government, Indigenous communities, volunteers and the private sector to respond to people who are lost, missing or in distress.
Public Safety's work is an important part the Government's fundamental responsibility for the safety and security of its citizens.
Search and Rescue New Initiatives Fund; SARscene: Canada's National SAR conference
AdventureSmart; Dementia; Series: Dementia is a SAR matter
International COSPAS-SARSAT Programme; how it works; Federal partners; International agreement
Urban Search and Rescue – Classification Guide; Heavy Urban Search and Rescue Funding Program
Partnerships; Search and Rescue Volunteer Association Contribution Program
Public Safety’s National Search and Rescue Secretariat coordinates and participates in multiple committees that enhance the delivery of SAR in Canada.
- Emergency Management Exemplary Service Award (EMESA)
- Memorial Grant Program for First Responders
- Post-Traumatic Stress Injuries and Support for Public Safety Officers
- National Emergency Management System (NEMS)
Emergency Management News Releases
Minister Sajjan reaffirms support to the province of Manitoba to respond and recover from disasters
November 15, 2023
Minister Sajjan marks the International Day on Disaster Risk Reduction
October 13, 2023
Statement by Minister Sajjan on Fire Prevention Week
October 7, 2023
Emergency Management Publications and Reports
- Evaluation of the Initiatives to Address Post-Traumatic Stress Injuries (PTSI) Evaluation Report
- Summary of the Evaluation of the Initiatives to Address Post-Traumatic Stress Injuries (PTSI) Among Public Safety Officers
- The First Public Report of the National Risk Profile
- The National Search and Rescue Secretariat 406 megahertz (MHz) Personal Locator Beacon
- Canada’s Midterm Review of the Implementation of the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015-2030
- Date modified: