Search and Rescue Policies and Programs
Canada has one of the world's largest and most difficult areas for search and rescue (SAR), conducted over varied and often austere terrain, in extreme weather and in areas with low population density.
The SAR system draws on the resources and expertise of partners at all levels of government, Indigenous communities, volunteers and the private sector to respond to people who are lost, missing or in distress.
Public Safety's work is an important part the Government's fundamental responsibility for the safety and security of its citizens.
Search and Rescue New Initiatives Fund; SARscene: Canada's National SAR conference
AdventureSmart; Dementia; Series: Dementia is a SAR matter
International COSPAS-SARSAT Programme; how it works; Federal partners; International agreement
Urban Search and Rescue – Classification Guide; Heavy Urban Search and Rescue Funding Program
Partnerships; Search and Rescue Volunteer Association Contribution Program
Public Safety’s National Search and Rescue Secretariat coordinates and participates in multiple committees that enhance the delivery of SAR in Canada.
- Emergency Management Exemplary Service Award (EMESA)
- Memorial Grant Program for First Responders
- Post-Traumatic Stress Injuries and Support for Public Safety Officers
- National Emergency Management System (NEMS)
Emergency Management News Releases
Government of Canada provides disaster recovery funding to Saskatchewan for spring floods
December 21, 2022
Communiqué posting – Meeting of FPT Ministers Responsible for Emergency Management
December 15, 2022
Government of Canada announces funding for research project to improve Canada’s resilience to flooding
November 23, 2022
Emergency Management Publications and Reports
- Canada’s Midterm Review of the Implementation of the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015-2030
- The Memorial Grant Program for First Responders: Awareness Brochure
- Adapting to Rising Flood Risk - An Analysis of Insurance Solutions for Canada
- Compendium of U.S. - Canada Emergency Management Assistance Mechanisms
- Federal, Provincial, and Territorial Emergency Management Strategy Interim Action Plan 2021-22
- Date modified: