Search and Rescue Policies and Programs
Canada has one of the world's largest and most difficult areas for search and rescue (SAR), conducted over varied and often austere terrain, in extreme weather and in areas with low population density.
The SAR system draws on the resources and expertise of partners at all levels of government, Indigenous communities, volunteers and the private sector to respond to people who are lost, missing or in distress.
Public Safety's work is an important part the Government's fundamental responsibility for the safety and security of its citizens.
Search and Rescue New Initiatives Fund; SARscene: Canada's National SAR conference
AdventureSmart; Dementia; Series: Dementia is a SAR matter
International COSPAS-SARSAT Programme; how it works; Federal partners; International agreement
Urban Search and Rescue – Classification Guide; Heavy Urban Search and Rescue Funding Program
Partnerships; Search and Rescue Volunteer Association Contribution Program
Public Safety’s National Search and Rescue Secretariat coordinates and participates in multiple committees that enhance the delivery of SAR in Canada.
- Emergency Management Exemplary Service Award (EMESA)
- Memorial Grant Program for First Responders
- Post-Traumatic Stress Injuries and Support for Public Safety Officers
- National Emergency Management System (NEMS)
Emergency Management News Releases
The Government of Canada invests in crime prevention in Vancouver
February 22, 2024
Government of Canada announces assistance to Nova Scotia with recovery efforts following significant snow storm
February 6, 2024
Government of Canada launches targeted engagement on advancing a civilian response capacity in Canada
February 1, 2024
Emergency Management Publications and Reports
- Advancing the Federal-Provincial-Territorial Emergency Management Strategy: Areas for Action
- Evaluation of the Initiatives to Address Post-Traumatic Stress Injuries (PTSI) Evaluation Report
- Summary of the Evaluation of the Initiatives to Address Post-Traumatic Stress Injuries (PTSI) Among Public Safety Officers
- The First Public Report of the National Risk Profile
- The National Search and Rescue Secretariat 406 megahertz (MHz) Personal Locator Beacon
- Date modified: