Search and Rescue Policies and Programs
Canada has one of the world's largest and most difficult areas for search and rescue (SAR), conducted over varied and often austere terrain, in extreme weather and in areas with low population density.
The SAR system draws on the resources and expertise of partners at all levels of government, Indigenous communities, volunteers and the private sector to respond to people who are lost, missing or in distress.
Public Safety's work is an important part the Government's fundamental responsibility for the safety and security of its citizens.
National Search and Rescue Secretariat
Search and Rescue New Initiatives Fund; SARscene: Canada's National SAR conference
AdventureSmart; Dementia; Series: Dementia is a SAR matter
International Search and Rescue Satellite System
International COSPAS-SARSAT Programme; how it works; Federal partners; International agreement
Urban Search and Rescue
Urban Search and Rescue – Classification Guide; Heavy Urban Search and Rescue Funding Program
Search and Rescue Volunteers
Partnerships; Search and Rescue Volunteer Association Contribution Program
Search and Rescue Committees
Public Safety’s National Search and Rescue Secretariat coordinates and participates in multiple committees that enhance the delivery of SAR in Canada.
- Emergency Management Exemplary Service Award (EMESA)
- Memorial Grant Program for First Responders
- Post-Traumatic Stress Injuries and Support for Public Safety Officers
- National Emergency Management System (NEMS)
Emergency Management News Releases
Government of Canada funds search and rescue revitalization in Alberta
March 13, 2023
Government of Canada provides disaster recovery funding to Saskatchewan for 2015 spring flooding
March 6, 2023
Government of Canada provides disaster recovery funding to Alberta for past rainfall and flooding
February 16, 2023
Emergency Management Publications and Reports
- The National Search and Rescue Secretariat 406 megahertz (MHz) Personal Locator Beacon
- Canada’s Midterm Review of the Implementation of the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015-2030
- The Memorial Grant Program for First Responders: Awareness Brochure
- Adapting to Rising Flood Risk - An Analysis of Insurance Solutions for Canada
- Compendium of U.S. - Canada Emergency Management Assistance Mechanisms
- Date modified: