Communities at Risk: Security Infrastructure Program (SIP)
The next SIP call for applications is now open from June 1st to July 31st.
The deadline to submit an application is July 31st at 11:59 p.m. Pacific Daylight Time (PDT).
Templates and forms have been updated to reflect changes made to the program’s Terms and Conditions. Please make sure to complete and submit the most up-to-date versions.
The SIP supports the implementation of projects to help communities with a demonstrated history of being victimized by hate-motivated crime through the enhancement of their security infrastructure.
Public Safety Canada receives applications from December 1st to January 31st and from June 1st to July 31st of each year.
New and Improved! (Effective June 1, 2019)
To make the SIP more responsive to the needs of communities, the list of eligible expenditures under SIP has been expanded to include up to $10,000 for basic training for staff to respond to a hate-motivated incident.
The existing list of physical infrastructure upgrades will also include security enhancements for doors, windows, intercoms and public address systems, as well as minor renovations to enhance security up to $35,000. Please refer to the Terms and Conditions and Application Guide for more information.
Applicants are encouraged to submit their completed application (including their budget, their quotes and other supporting documents) using the online application form.
To help applicants and contractors, Public Safety Canada has also created a Standardized Quote Template and Quote Sample and a Security Equipment Pricing Guide. The guide is a list of the most popular equipment and their fair market value. The guide will be used to assess funding applications.
To be eligible for funding, a minimum of two (2) comparable quotes need to be included with your application using the Standardized Quote Template.
Approved projects may receive up to 50% of total project costs to a maximum Public Safety Canada contribution of $100,000 per project.
Effective June 1st, 2019, Public Safety's contribution for minor renovations cannot exceed $35,000 per project.
Public Safety's contribution for the training of personnel to improve their safety skills and knowledge (including the use of new equipment) cannot exceed $10,000.
Proposals may be approved in their entirety or in part.
Applicants must demonstrate that they are able to provide at least 50% of the total project costs. These contributions must be from non-governmental sources and must be available at the time the application is submitted.
Funding or reimbursements cannot be provided to applicants for any activities that have been started or completed prior to signing a contribution agreement with Public Safety Canada.
Funding is available to not-for-profit organizations that are at risk of being victimized by hate-motivated crime. It helps with the costs of security infrastructure improvements for places of worship, provincially and territorially recognized private educational institutions, and community centers.
Crown Corporations, publicly funded institutions, for-profit organizations and individuals are not eligible for funding.
How to Apply
Templates and forms have been updated to reflect changes made to the program’s Terms and Conditions. Please make sure to complete and submit the most up-to-date versions below.
Interested organizations are encouraged to submit their application online. A complete application package consists of:
- Online application
- For project proposals involving educational institutions, documentation confirming that the institution is recognized at the Provincial or Territorial level;
- A minimum of two (2) recent letters of support from the community for the proposed project;
- A minimum of two (2) detailed and comparable quotes using the mandatory standardized Quote Template UPDATED!;
- training on how to respond to an event only requires one quote from a certified security professional on official letterhead.
- A completed and detailed budget for the proposed project using the budget template (XLS Format) UPDATED!. Only items listed in the budget will be considered for funding. The items listed in the budget template must match exactly the items listed in the standardized Quote Template;
- Sketches or floor plans that include clear markings of where all the proposed interior and/or exterior security equipment will be installed at your project site.
Your application must include the layout of where the requested security equipment will be installed. Only the security equipment that has been clearly marked on sketches or floorplans will be considered for funding.
Please note that incomplete applications will not be considered for funding.
It is also recommended that you familiarize yourself with the following associated documents.
- Application Guide UPDATED!
- Security Equipment Pricing Guide
- SIP FAQs NEW!
- Standardized Quote Sample
- Instructions for completing the Budget Template UPDATED!
- Terms and Conditions UPDATED!
Applicants will receive a decision in writing within four months following the close of each call for proposals.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance or to obtain an alternate format of the online application form. Program Officers are available to provide advice on the eligibility of applicants, activities and costs and to answer general questions.
- Date modified: