Documents Needed for Air Travel

Bringing the proper identification to the airport will help with an efficient identity screening and check-in process.

In addition, the name on your identification must match the name on your airline reservation or boarding pass. Small differences such as the use of a middle initial instead of a full middle name or no middle name at all, or hyphens and apostrophes, should not cause significant issues.

For flights to, from or within Canada, all passengers who appear to be 18 years of age or older will need to present:

  • One piece of valid government-issued identification that includes a photograph and the passenger's name, date of birth and gender;


  • Two pieces of valid government-issued identification, at least one of which shows his or her name, date of birth and gender.

Required Documents for International Travel

A valid passport is required for all international travel. Canada requires that all passengers, including children, carry their own passport when travelling by air to another country.

Please visit for more information for Canadians traveling abroad.

Examples of Valid Government-issued Identification Documents

(Note: Some of the listed documents may be sufficient on their own, while others may need to be supplemented with a second piece of valid government-issued identification)

  • passport
  • citizenship card
  • permanent-resident card
  • driver's license
  • provincial health card
  • provincial identity card
  • provincial or territorial government identification cards (GICs)
  • birth certificate
  • Record of Landing Form/Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292)
  • immigration documents issued to foreign nationals (e.g., Work Permit, Study Permit, Visitor Record, Temporary Resident Permit, Refugee Approved Status)
  • Canadian military identification
  • federal police identification
  • federal, provincial or municipal government employee identification cards
  • Old Age Security (OAS) identification card
  • Certificate of Indian Status (Status Card) issued by Indian and Northern Affairs Canada (INAC)
  • Canada Border Services Agency NEXUS card
  • firearms license