Pre-C-10 Miscellaneous Amendments to the Corrections and Conditional Release Regulations
Description of the objective
This proposal seeks to make a number of long-standing miscellaneous and technical amendments to several sections of the Corrections and Conditional Release Regulations (CCRR). The amendments will help ensure greater clarity by correcting grammatical mistakes and reduce the risk of misinterpretation by correcting discrepancies between the English and French versions. The amendments will also ensure that the Regulations are consistent with the Modernization of Benefits Act and the Charter of Rights and Freedom. The enabling legislation is the Corrections and Conditional Release Act.
The majority of these changes were recommended by the Standing Committee on the Scrutiny of Regulations and are largely minor housekeeping matters of a technical nature or serve to clarify the original intention of the Regulation. The proposals do not affect any substantive rights and do not represent any significant change in policy. The amendments would:
- Make grammatical, orthographic and translation corrections or additions for clarity and precision;
- Modernize language to conform with the Modernization of Benefits Act;
- Clarify the intent of legislation;
- Repeal sections that have been declared unconstitutional;
- Amend the Schedule referenced in sec 94(2) (i.e. privileged correspondents) to update changes in titles and to make four additions.
Indication of business impacts
There are no expected business impacts.
Public consultation opportunities
Consultations undertaken within the Correctional Service of Canada and with the Department of Justice indicate no opposition to these amendments. Stakeholder groups are not expected to oppose these amendments.
No public consultation via the Canada Gazette is required, as these amendments are technical in nature; it is not expected that stakeholder groups would have any objections.
For more information
- Government-wide Administrative Burden Baseline counts
- Government-Wide Forward Regulatory Plans
- The Cabinet Directive on Regulatory Management
- The Red Tape Reduction Action Plan
- The Canada–United States Regulatory Cooperation Council
- Date modified: