VMware vCenter and ESXi Updates
Date: 02 October 2015
The purpose of this advisory is to bring attention to the recently released updates for VMware vCenter Server and ESXi.
VMware has released security updates to address multiple security vulnerabilities in vCenter and ESXi. Exploitation of one of these vulnerabilities may allow a remote attacker to execute code remotely on an ESXi host, execute arbitrary code on a vCenter server or allow an unauthenticated attacker to create a denial-of-service condition in the vpxd service.
Affected versions are:
- VMware ESXi 5.5, ESXi 5.1 and ESXi 5.0 without patch ESXi550-201509101
- VMware vCenter Server 6.0 prior to version 6.0 update 1
- VMware vCenter Server 5.5 prior to version 5.5 update 3
- VMware vCenter Server 5.1 prior to version 5.1 update u3b
- VMware vCenter Server 5.0 prior to version 5.u update u3e
CVE References: CVE-2015-5177, CVE-2015-2342, CVE-2015-1047
CCIRC recommends that owner/operators test and deploy the vendor released updates or workarounds to affected platforms accordingly.
- VMWare: http://www.vmware.com/security/advisories/VMSA-2015-0007.html
- US-CERT: https://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/current-activity/2015/10/01/VMware-Releases-Security-Advisory
- CVE-2015-5177: http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2015-5177
- CVE-2015-2342: http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2015-2342
- CVE-2015-1047: http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2015-1047
Note to Readers
In support of Public Safety's mission to build a safe and resilient Canada, CCIRC's mandate is to help ensure the security and resilience of the vital non-federal government cyber systems that underpin Canada's national security, public safety and economic prosperity. As Canada's computer security incident response team, CCIRC is Canada's national coordination centre for the prevention and mitigation of, preparedness for, response to, and recovery from cyber incidents on non-federal government systems. It does this by providing authoritative advice and support, and coordinating information sharing and incident response.
Please note, CCIRC PGP key has recently been updated.
For general information, please contact Public Safety Canada's Public Affairs division at:
Telephone: 613-944-4875 or 1-800-830-3118
- Date modified: