Grants Program to National Voluntary Organizations
Public Safety Canada offers grants and contributions to national voluntary organizations (NVOs) that work in the area of criminal justice and whose objectives and activities support and promote the public safety mandate and priorities of the Department.
The Grants Program to National Voluntary Organizations (GP) provides funding to NVOs who are, for the most part, active in the area of corrections. The funding is meant to help these organizations maintain a national structure and cover core operating expenses, such as staff payroll and office equipment leases. The GP provides a total of nearly $1.8M annually in the form of grants to NVOs which meet program eligibility criteria.
The call for applications for the April 1, 2017 – March 31, 2020 funding cycle for the Grants Program to National Voluntary Organizations is now closed.
The criteria for receiving a grant under the program include the following:
- The organization is an NVO or a not-for-profit organization that provides a range of services in the area of corrections and conditional release, and therefore contribute directly to public safety.
- The organization's objectives and activities are directly related to those of the Portfolio.
- The organization has a Board of Directors.
- The organization has internal accountability measures.
- The organization is well established and has a high level of credibility.
- The organization is normally able to secure at least five per cent (5%) of its core funding from sources other than the federal government.
- The organization has a visible constituency.
- The organization is actively engaged in pursuing its stated objectives through strategies and activities acceptable in a free and democratic society.
- The organization agrees to provide information requested by the Department of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness in accordance with the Terms and Conditions of the Grant Program.
The GP provides a total of nearly $1.8M annually in the form of grants to NVOs which meet program eligibility criteria. Upon approval by the Department of Public Safety, funding recipients will receive annual payments that will be made on the basis of a three year funding arrangement with each NVO.
How to apply
The following will be required of all applicants in order for the department to consider a grant application:
- a Request for Funding Questionnaire (Word 72 KB) (HTML), provided by the department and completed by the recipient, which includes the eligibility criteria;
- the recipient's most recent annual report;
- a projected balanced budget disclosing all revenues from all sources, including in-kind support, as well as all expected expenses over the life of the project;
- a list of names, titles and telephone numbers of people responsible for managing the grant;
- a copy of the most recent audited financial statements; and
- copies of recent reports, conference proceedings and other documents produced by the recipient, if available.
Completed applications must be submitted electronically to email@example.com. The maximum file size limit for email attachments is 10Mb. The assessment of applications will be based on the material included with the original electronic submission.
Funding decisions are made based on a Departmental review session, held shortly after the closing of the call for proposals. Applicants will be notified of the status of their respective applications within weeks of the review session.
For more information
Please direct requests for assistance to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Assistance is available to answer general questions.
Corrections News Releases
Government of Canada introduces legislative changes addressing issues in the federal corrections system
June 19, 2017
Statement from Minister Goodale on the Office of the Correctional Investigator of Canada report into the death of Matthew Hines
May 2, 2017
Appointment of Ivan Zinger as acting Correctional Investigator of Canada
December 22, 2016
- More Corrections News Releases
Corrections Publications and Reports
- 2015-2016 Evaluation of the Grants Program to National Voluntary Organizations
- 2015 Corrections and Conditional Release Statistical Overview
- Overview of Federal Corrections and Criminal Justice - Victim-Centred Information and Assistance
- 2014 Corrections and Conditional Release Statistical Overview
- Preparing Victims for the Release of a Federal Offender
- More Corrections Publications and Reports
- Date modified: