Public Safety works with Aboriginal people, governments and organizations to develop unique and innovative solutions to the challenges that Aboriginal people encounter within the community corrections and criminal justice systems. We also provide support to communities and organizations that would like to address the issue of community safety and more specifically, violence against Aboriginal women and girls.
Through the Aboriginal Community Corrections Initiative, PS works with communities and organizations to rehabilitate Aboriginal offenders through project development, training and capacity building, communications, and policy development.
The Aboriginal Community Safety Development Contribution Program supports the development of community safety plan as part of the Government of Canada's concrete action on missing and murdered Aboriginal women. Our objective is to help communities respond holistically to community factors leading to integrated, comprehensive responses that can move communities from fixing problems to building communities that are healthy and safe.
Public Safety Canada
Aboriginal Corrections Policy Unit
340 Laurier Avenue West
Ottawa, Canada K1A 0P8
Corrections News Releases
Government of Canada introduces legislative changes addressing issues in the federal corrections system
June 19, 2017
Statement from Minister Goodale on the Office of the Correctional Investigator of Canada report into the death of Matthew Hines
May 2, 2017
Appointment of Ivan Zinger as acting Correctional Investigator of Canada
December 22, 2016
- More Corrections News Releases
Aboriginal Corrections Publications and Reports
- Marginalized: The Aboriginal Women's experience in Federal Corrections
- Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder and the Criminal Justice System
- Soccer Moms are Part of the Solution "A Cost-Benefit Analysis of a Volunteer-Based Gang Prevention Initiative"
- Common Ground - An Examination of Similarities between Black & Aboriginal Communities
- Community Mobilisation Dialogue with Aboriginal Communities
- More Aboriginal Corrections Publications and Reports
- Date modified: