Public Safety works with Aboriginal people, governments and organizations to develop unique and innovative solutions to the challenges that Aboriginal people encounter within the community corrections and criminal justice systems. We also provide support to communities and organizations that would like to address the issue of community safety and more specifically, violence against Aboriginal women and girls.
Through the Indigenous Community Corrections Initiative, PS works with communities and organizations to rehabilitate Aboriginal offenders through project development, training and capacity building, communications, and policy development.
The Aboriginal Community Safety Development Contribution Program supports the development of community safety plan as part of the Government of Canada's concrete action on missing and murdered Aboriginal women. Our objective is to help communities respond holistically to community factors leading to integrated, comprehensive responses that can move communities from fixing problems to building communities that are healthy and safe.
Public Safety Canada
Aboriginal Corrections Policy Unit
340 Laurier Avenue West
Ottawa, Canada K1A 0P8
Corrections News Releases
Statement by Minister Goodale in response to the 2017 Fall Report of the Auditor General of Canada
November 21, 2017
New Funding: Reintegration Support and Incarceration Alternatives for Indigenous Offenders
October 16, 2017
Decrease in Canada’s Crime Rate and Admissions to Administrative Segregation
September 15, 2017
- More Corrections News Releases
Aboriginal Corrections Publications and Reports
- Research Summary - What We Know and Don’t Know About Risk Assessment with Offenders of Indigenous Heritage
- What We Know and Don’t Know About Risk Assessment with Offenders of Indigenous Heritage
- Marginalized: The Aboriginal Women's experience in Federal Corrections
- Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder and the Criminal Justice System
- Soccer Moms are Part of the Solution "A Cost-Benefit Analysis of a Volunteer-Based Gang Prevention Initiative"
- More Aboriginal Corrections Publications and Reports
- Date modified: