Public Safety works with Aboriginal people, governments and organizations to develop unique and innovative solutions to the challenges that Aboriginal people encounter within the community corrections and criminal justice systems. We also provide support to communities and organizations that would like to address the issue of community safety and more specifically, violence against Aboriginal women and girls.
Through the Indigenous Community Corrections Initiative, PS works with communities and organizations to rehabilitate Aboriginal offenders through project development, training and capacity building, communications, and policy development.
The Aboriginal Community Safety Development Contribution Program supports the development of community safety plan as part of the Government of Canada's concrete action on missing and murdered Aboriginal women. Our objective is to help communities respond holistically to community factors leading to integrated, comprehensive responses that can move communities from fixing problems to building communities that are healthy and safe.
Public Safety Canada
Aboriginal Corrections Policy Unit
340 Laurier Avenue West
Ottawa, Canada K1A 0P8
Corrections News Releases
University of Regina project to address over-representation of Indigenous people in corrections
September 6, 2019
Government appoints expert Advisory Panel to monitor new correctional system
September 6, 2019
Statement from Minister Goodale on the passage of Bill C-83 to strengthen federal corrections and keep communities safe
June 21, 2019
- More Corrections News Releases
Aboriginal Corrections Publications and Reports
- Research Summary: A Meta-analysis of the Effectiveness of Culturally-relevant Treatment for Indigenous Offenders
- Research Summary - What We Know and Don’t Know About Risk Assessment with Offenders of Indigenous Heritage
- What We Know and Don’t Know About Risk Assessment with Offenders of Indigenous Heritage
- Marginalized: The Aboriginal Women's experience in Federal Corrections
- Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder and the Criminal Justice System
- More Aboriginal Corrections Publications and Reports
- Date modified: