Instructions for completing the SIP Budget Template
Download Budget Template (XLS format) UPDATED!
Please fill in the blue shaded areas in the worksheet. The rest of the template will auto-fill.
For additional information on how to complete the budget template, please contact a Program Officer at email@example.com
Note that each expenditure cash contribution item must be supported by a quote. Please ensure that all expenditure items are listed under the appropriate category.
Once your budget Template is completed, refer to the "Verification checklist" tab to ensure that you did not miss any important details.
Column A - Budget Items
Fill in the description for each project expenditure/activity under the appropriate category: Security Assessment, Closed Circuit Television System, Security Equipment and Hardware Costs, Labour and Installation, Training Costs, and Monitoring, Reporting, and Evaluation.
For example, 'security cameras' would be placed under the Closed circuit television systems category. Installation for the security cameras would be placed under the ‘minor construction & labour’ category and training provided to personnel on the use of the security cameras would be placed under the Training category. Within the ‘Minor Construction & Labour’ category, the individual labour costs associated with each security upgrade should be indicated with a short description (ie. alarm system installation, fencing installation, conduit excavation cost, etc.)
Activities eligible for support could include:
- Completion of security assessments;
- Construction and/or installation of modest security measures such as cameras, lighting and fences;
- Renovations directly related to enhancing the security of the building;
- Training; and
- Project evaluation.
Funds may only be requested for expenditures directly related to the activities of the project such as:
- Security assessments (report and consultation fees) not to exceed 25% of total project cost. Recipients who have received a Crime Prevention through Environmental Design (CPTED) assessment from a police service will not be eligible for reimbursement of any subsequent security assessments;
- Minor construction related to the project (contractor fees, labour, equipment rental, installation fees);
- Minor renovation related to the project (ex: renovations to the main entrance or lobby area of a building to enhance the security); Public Safety Canada contribution for minor renovations cannot exceed $35,000 per project.
- Security equipment and hardware costs including alarm systems, fences, gates, lighting, security film for windows, relocation of existing cameras, anti-graffiti sealant, motion detectors, signage and landscaping consistent with a CPTED assessment;
- Closed circuit television systems (CCTV) which may include exterior cameras, digital video recorder, monitor, and installation costs associated with the system including wiring, brackets and accessories. (The system accessories cannot exceed 25% of the total cost of the CCTV system);
- Training costs for proper use of new security equipment and basic training for staff to respond to a hate-motivated incident. Public Safety Canada contribution cannot exceed $10,000 per project; and
- Project related monitoring, reporting and evaluation costs (As with all government Contribution Agreements, applicants will need to report on the completed activities as per the terms and conditions of the agreement and the approved budget. The costs associated with these reporting activities may be included in the application.)
Funds do not cover ineligible expenditures such as:
- Capital costs that include land, construction of buildings, and vehicles;
- Salaries and wages for full time personnel;
- Hospitality and travel;
- Core or ongoing operating expenses related to the project, including maintenance;
- Equipment and/or hardware which includes any of the following: benches, concrete barrier wall, fingerprint reader system, night vision goggles, body armour, projectors, security desk, radios, hidden cameras or dummy cameras, and tire shredders and any other equipment or hardware not related to deterring hate motivated crime; and
- Hiring of security guards.
Please note that Public Safety Canada is not responsible for the maintenance of the security equipment obtained through this program.
Any enhancements must adhere to municipal codes, by-laws and provincial/territorial laws and regulations.
Column B - Cost per Unit/Hour
Fill in the cost per unit without taxes for all expenditures. For example, if this is an expenditure in the Security Equipment and Hardware category for chain link fencing, then this box would contain the cost per linear foot of fencing. Cost per Unit amounts must not exceed two decimal points – for example $25.33, not $25.3334.
Column C - Number of Units/Hours
Fill in the number of units/items for all expenditures. For example, if the expenditure is in the Security Equipment and Hardware category, the box must contain the number of linear feet of fencing required for this project. This box would contain the number of items your project requires. Other unit measures could be 'per hour', per day (rental equipment), etc. The information entered must be supported by quotes.
Column D - Total Cost
This column will fill in automatically based on the amounts in the Cost per Unit/Hour and Number of Units/Hours columns.
Columns F through G - Cash and In-kind Contributions
You must specify if a contribution from another non-governmental source is cash or in-kind. Generally, a cash contribution would appear in the organization's ledger as revenue (cheque, transfer of funds, direct deposit, etc.).
Enter cash contribution amounts in Column F. Similarly, enter in-kind contribution amounts in Column G.
The maximum amount of in-kind contributions can be up to 10% of the total project cost. The supplier and installation companies chosen to perform the work are ineligible to provide the in-kind contributions.
Breakdown the amounts that each person or organization is contributing to the project. Ensure the source of funding listed is the complete legal name of the organization contributing to the project.
Only include cash/in-kind contributions that are confirmed. This would be any contribution that a source has indicated they will provide when/if the project takes place. If contributions from other sources are not confirmed, they should not be included in the budget.
Column H - Public Safety Canada Funding
Amounts in this column will automatically fill based on each expenditure total as well as contributions from other sources.
GST and HST Tax Rebates
Insert the percentage of GST and/or HST tax rebate, as applicable.
- Date modified: